Friday, 12 July 2019

Burda 9424 Roar Romper Sewing Project


This is my favourite romper pattern, easy to sew and easy to wear.  This time I'm making it in a fat pair of fat quarters that I just couldn't resist spending far too much money on.  One fat quarter for each pant leg and just barely enough leftover for a little pocket.  I've used a scarp of plain cotton for the bib, straps and facing.

Tools and Materials:


I've substituted the pocket for one with straight edges.  They are sooo much easier to get neat.

I overlock the edges so there aren't any straggly bits on the inside of the pocket.  I dread to think what I'll have to retrieve out of these pockets and the thought of having to detangle goodness knows what from straggly threads makes me shudder.

I'm not sure if the instructions call for it but I've turned the top hem of the pocket to the right side, sewed the side seams and turned it right side in before pressing the side seams.


I've not pressed them to the seam allowance, just an even minimal amount.


I just pin the pocket roughly in place and top stitch it.


The pants are super simple.  Side seam, 


Inside leg


Then turn one inside out and into the other leg so the right sides are together for the crotch seam.

I always find it satisfying turning them right sides out - it feels like such an achievement.

I have completely omitted the underlap and facing for the buttons.  I've made about a dozen of these and not once have I needed to actually undo the buttons on the side so this time I'm saving myself the trouble of making them at all.


Bib front and back onto the pants.


Onto the straps.


One of these days I will remember that it's the slanted end that needs to be left open!!


And another day maybe I'll remember that the straps need to point into the romper back, so they point outwards when turned to the right side.


The inner bibs are sewn onto the front and back bib.


However my lack of underlap is causing issues.  I'd have been much better sewing the bibs together in a loop then stitching them to the pants in one seam, then adding the bib inners.  As it is I've had to make do with pulling the bibs right sides together and doing the best I can to get a neat seam at the sides.


I love how the bib inners hide the back of the bibs, such a nice finish and it's so easy.


The instructions are different here, I think they just have the bib inner hanging loose - erm no thanks.  I press it under then top stitch it in place along the seam between the pants and bibs.


Look at that perfect hem!  My best yet.


There's a little back band on the back of the pants.


One day I'll remember that it's supposed to go on the inside of the pants!!


I like to top stitch around the edges of the bibs.

My button holes are getting better.




No comments:

Post a Comment