Friday, 15 March 2019

Log Cabin Patchwork Quilt Sewing Project


This is my first patchwork project in ages.  I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed it.  

Tools and Materials:

Most of my sewing stash comes form the lovely people at Minerva Crafts.



Here's the plans from my Bullet Journal.  The strips were cut 2.5" wide with a 1/4" seam allowance.  These scruffy notes are the length of the strips required in each fabric to help me decide which fabric to position where on  the design.


In keeping with patchwork tradition this quilt is made entirely of scrap fabric.  Admittedly the two prints were someone else's scraps that I bought at a car boot sale.  And the beige formed part of the immense pile of scraps I inherited.  The dark blue is actually on old shirt that was being discarded.  The palest blue was a very old sheet also from my inherited stash.  Instead of batting I backed the quilt with a old velvet curtain lining.  


Log cabin has always been my go to patchwork pattern.  It's so quick and easy to cut and sew, with very few corners to match.  


In fact I've used sashing on this design so I've got away without a single corner to match - whoop whoop!!


I've basically done a normal log cabin design then added an extra row of the palest fabric so it look like the inner two are all framed with the palest fabric.  I really like the effect.


This is my first attempt at using a walking foot to stitch in the ditch for the quilting.  I'm not so sure it really makes that much of a difference but I'll preserve, maybe it just takes practice.


I've bound the quilt with some leftovers of the darkest blue.  Here's a quilt binding tutorial I wrote.



No comments:

Post a Comment